Washington Youth Tour (WYT) Application Process
WYT Competition Rules
Graham County Electric Cooperative, Inc. (GCEC) is proud to be a sponsor of the Washington Youth Tour (WYT) program. Since 1999 GCEC has sent students each year on a week-long, all-expense paid trip to Washington D.C. You’ll see places such as the U.S. Capitol, White House, Arlington National Cemetery, Mount Vernon, Fort McHenry, Smithsonian Museums, and many other museums and memorials in the D.C area. You’ll have the opportunity to make new friends as you join nearly 1,600 other students all sponsored by electric co-ops from across the country.
This trip is a once in a life time opportunity! GCEC is taking applications now for the 2018 WYT (scheduled for June 7-14, 2018). Here are the rules for the competition:
- Must be a “Junior” attending a High School in Graham County.
- Students must be between 15 and 18 years of age by June 1, 2018.
- Write an essay following the guidelines as described in the next section of this application. The essay topic is "If you had power and influence, what would you do with it?"
- Finalist will be interviewed by a panel of judges.
Please return the application and essay to Graham County Electric Cooperative, Inc., PO Drawer B, Pima, AZ 85543. You may also bring your application and essay to the Co-op Office located at 9 West Center Street in Pima or submit online by completing the information below and submitting your essay using the "Submit" tab. When submitting your application and essay online, you should see a message that says: "Thank you, your submission has been received." You will also receive a confirmation email. If you do not see the message and/or receive the confirmation email then there may be a problem with your submission. Please contact the office to confirm your submission.
All applications and essays must be received in the Co-op office by Wednesday, November 8, 2017
For more information about WYT, please view the other page links on this site or call Diane Junion, Local Tour Coordinator, at 928-485-2451, extension 8654.
Students will be required to prepare an essay using the following guidelines:
- Topic: “If you had power or influence, what would you do with it?"
- Write an essay discussing the above topic. There is no right or wrong way to do this. Use your imagination, be creative, and don’t worry whether yours will be like the other contestants. Everyone will have a different take on this, so just concern yourself with doing your personal best.
- Must be the sole work of the contestant. Credits must be given for research material.
- Contain no less than 350 or more than 400 words.
- Typed and double-spaced.
- Judging of essays is anonymous. DO NOT write your name on the essay, or identify yourself in any way in the contents. Each essay will be assigned a number when it is received.
Essays will be judged anonymously, using the following criteria:
- Knowledge of Subject (depth of information, effectiveness of message)
- Originality (freshness of thought, responsiveness to topic)
- Composition (organization of thoughts, coherence / unity, effective transitions)
- Neatness (adherence to guidelines, grammatical correctness)
- Persuasiveness (overall impact of essay)